I woke to the sound of knocking at my front door at 8:00 am this morning and leapt out of bed. I knew it could only be bad news. Sure enough when I opened the front door there were two guys digging plants out of the mediterranean garden and the foreman was there to let me know the lateral was going in earlier than expected. I ran and got a shovel to help them remove plants. In 15 minutes all the plants in the center of the garden were out and the excavator was in place. I tried to take out my more beloved specimens myself because of course the construction guys were not as careful about getting all the roots out as I was. We’ll see what makes it and what doesn’t. I’m guessing it may be something like 50/50 or worse.
Here are my plants all piled up on top of each other. That Lavandula pinnata var. buchii has been in full glorious bloom since last summer and all through winter but sadly one of the guys got to it before I could and not it has no roots. It may survive if I hack it way back.
It doesn’t help that today and tomorrow are going to be the hottest days in the past two months. It got up to about 73 today. Everything was looking very droopy.
I was hoping I would have the weekend to carefully remove each plant myself.
Salvia africana-lutea stayed in place and was just out of the danger zone. It was a risk and it did get a ton of stray sand dumped on it as the excavator bucket went back and forth but I think it will be OK.
I’m just so fried at this point. Remember my pictures just a week or two ago on how far the garden had come in a year? Back to square one.
In goes the lateral pipe. That white pipe across the top of the hole was the original irrigation. It is a damned good thing I never got around to installing drip in this garden. One less hassle to worry about.
Once the pipe was laid they filled the hole back up. Sort of. A lot of the soil is still on the street. And of course my good compost is gone and now I have a mess of Los Osos sand. Blargh. Well at least this is a garden of drought tolerant plants that want good drainage.
And the final view. Compare that to last weeks pictures. It looks like my garden was attacked by an army of plant hating fiends. And Gabe’s Bobcat is in the repair shop. I was hoping he would be able to come over and contour a little soil for me. I guess I’ll be doing it by hand.
This has been a terrible week but at least it is over. And while the sewer construction continues on my street for at least another two months at least they finished my side street (I hope).
One bright spot was that my free seed allotment from the Mediterranean Garden Society arrived in the mail today. So maybe there will be a bit of new life on the way to make up for all the plants that won’t make it.